Formally CHLEARS, SALT is a spiritual transitional department of Kahawa West Baptist Church. The department has been in existence since early in the inception of the church. The department was formally named Young Adults, a name that the department identifies with to-date, though not in regular use. The department comprises church individuals with common interests, persons in transition from teenage-hood to middle adult-life hence the reference “Young Adults”. It is worth noting however that the department does not turn away interested individuals who would otherwise be categorized in pre- or post- the said transition period. Thus, it’s membership is tapped from a broad-spectrum.
Our Driving Force
Our effort is anchored in Isaiah 40:29 “He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.” We will therefore labour with much diligence, sincerity, and faithfulness with the knowledge that the prospects of eternal glory and the sufficient grace of God, shall keep us from fainting.
“To produce strong believers in Jesus Christ, persons that are well equipped and empowered in all aspects of a Christian life”
“To equip the members with Biblical life skills to enable them sustain their faith in Jesus Christ and succeed in all spheres of a Christian life”
- To grow spiritually through bible studies, fellowship, prayers and counseling
- To advance our careers through career counseling, exposure programmes and to identify and promote talents in individuals
- To advice individuals on how to start and sustain healthy business, through motivational talks, investment advise and training
- Strengthen the bond of fellowship and partnership through activities such as hikes, picnics, retreats charitable activities etc
- To enhance growth towards responsible leadership
- To sensitize members on health and nutritional issues and encourage participation in health awareness events at local and national levels.
- To encourage healthy relationships based on Christian values through counseling and prayer programmes.
Origin of The Name “CHLEARS”
The name CHLEARS was adopted in order to dis-affiliate from a negative mindset associated with the name young adults. This was observed to put-off interested members from joining the department. Thus, following general discussions the members tasked the officials to re-brand the department starting with re-naming the department. The officials met on 7th December 2008 at Kasarani Sports Stadia and deliberated on possible names. Following the discussions the officials resolved to forward the following names to members of the department for vetting;
- Springs of Living Water
- The Gideonites
- The Eagles
- The CHLEARS
During an overnight vigil held on 16th January 2009 the members ultimately selected the name CHLEARS.
The name “CHLEARS” is an acronym derived from the group’s core values as here-under;
C COLLABORATIVE - Working with others in-a-team environment
H HARMONISED - Strive to attain unity in the Group, Church and Community
L LOVING - Promote love to God, Parents, Partners, Relatives, Friends And Enemies
E EMPOWERED - By God as vessels of honour to do His will and to Empower others
A ACCOMMODATIVE - God has accepted us. We will accept others also
R RELIABLE - We are dependable at all times
S SALVATION - We believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of the Living God and that Jesus Christ died for our sins and through Him, we are saved eternally.